For more than 20 years, Rob has represented and provided counsel to private and public business clients and investors in corporate transactions, corporate governance, issuances of securities, mergers and acquisitions, information technology and venture capital investments. He has substantial experience in structuring and negotiating mergers and acquisitions, advising companies on capital formation and securities offerings, and advising boards of directors of private and public companies.
Because of his experience as in-house counsel, he understands the need for clients to have ready access to quality legal advice on a day-to-day basis. He therefore offers clients the option of retaining him for an hourly rate, a project basis, or to easily budget his services under a monthly retainer through the firm’s Innovative Business Law program.
Prior to co-founding McKenzie Laird, PLLC in 2010, Rob was a shareholder at Drescher & Sharp, PC and Vice-President and General Counsel for HealthStream, Inc. from 1997 to 2003 where he helped take an early stage venture backed company through an initial public offering and grow the company through several business acquisitions.
An avid outdoor enthusiast, Rob enjoys biking, climbing, hiking and camping. These pursuits have taken him to the tops of many mountains and rock walls as well as across the Grand Canyon and back in a day and across the finish line of the Ironman World Triathlon Championship in Hawaii.
Speaking Engagements + Publications
- Nashville Bar Association, Business Law Institute CLE (2017): Streamlining the M&A Due Diligence Process
- Tennessee Bar Association CLE: Capital Raising & Securities Laws Issues (2016)
- Nashville Bar Association, Business Law Institute CLE (2016): Series LLCs in Tennessee
Rob has been a frequent speaker at continuing legal education programs sponsored by the Tennessee Bar Association, the Nashville Bar Association and other organizations on a range of corporate and securities law topics, including mergers and acquisitions, venture capital financing, formation of legal entities and corporate governance.
Charitable + Civic Involvement
- Economic Club of Nashville (ECON)
- East End Prep, Board Member
- Belmont Hillsboro Neighborhood Steering Committee
- Mayor’s Bicycle Pedestrian Advisory Committee
- First Steps, Inc., Past President
- CASA, Inc., Past Treasurer
- University of Tennessee, J.D., 1996
- University of Tennessee, M.B.A., 1996
- Tulane University, B.A. English, 1990
- Tennessee, 1996
- Corporate & Business
- Corporate Governance
- Entity Formation
- Venture Capital Financings
- Private Equity Financings
- Innovative Business Law
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Internet & Technology Law
- Nashville Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Nashville Business Journal’s “Best of the Bar” 2009