Todd’s background as a litigator and general counsel provides a valuable foundation and perspective from which to advise his clients. His primary focus is proactively placing his clients in positions of strength and avoiding mistakes that lead to the courtroom. He often serves an “outside in-house counsel” role, which allows him to tailor unique risk reduction strategies for each client and to consult as an ongoing advisor to the management team. Todd’s experience as general counsel also enables him to understand a client’s challenge in budgeting for legal services. He therefore offers clients the flexibility of retaining him at an hourly rate, on a project basis, or under a monthly retainer through the firm’s Innovative Business Law program.
Todd has practiced law in Nashville since 1996. He spent his first eight years in law as a litigator focusing on employment and complex commercial lawsuits. He spent the following eight years as an in-house general counsel at Meharry Medical College and an international aid nonprofit.
Charitable & Civic Involvement
- Nashville International Center for Empowerment, Corporate Secretary/Vice Chair
- Book’em, Reading Volunteer
- ToolLife/Sewn Together, Founder/Executive Director
- Adjunct faculty member at Lipscomb University, teaching classes in employment law and nonprofit corporate governance.
- “Expert” for the Center for Nonprofit Management
- Frequently serves as a speaker and panelist on the above topics at seminars and events
- Author of To the Point Employment and Nonprofit Blogs
- University of North Carolina, B.A. Political Science (1990)
- Samford University, J.D. (1996)
- Tennessee (1996)
- United States District Court for Middle Tennessee (1996)
- Corporate & Business
- Corporate Governance
- Entity Formation
- Innovative Business Law
- Labor & Employment
- Executive Compensation
- Nashville Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- American Bar Association (Member: Business Law, Employment Law, and Nonprofit Law Sections)